The Denver steaks are loved by non-vegetarians all over the world. It comes from under the blade portion of the chuck roll.
The shoulder of the animal is called beef chuck, and since shoulder muscles get enough exercise that part is pretty tough.
In this article, we will talk about How to cook Denver steak, best steak Denver and pretty much everything related to it.
Denver cut steak isn’t necessarily available that easily. Despite Cattlemen’s Beef Board’s best effort, you won’t find it anywhere in your supermarket beef section or even at your local denver best steakhouse menu.
But you might find them at your local butcher’s place and they would be more than happy to sell you.
Now if you are not in luck and you are unable to get some from anywhere near your place then the internet would be your next shop.
Recently there has been an increase in the quality and quantity of beef being sold online, and they can serve your needs.
Best steak in Denver and the one providing deliveries is Porter Road, they are one of the best and most famous online butchers that provide and deliver Denver beef right at your doorsteps.
The method to cut any steak is pretty much the same; You should always slice it across the grain, which is the direction along which the muscle fiber runs. Denver steak cut is also the same.
As said before this is true for all types of steak. If you use any other method such as using the T-bone method or a New York strip steak or any other method then you will be able to tell the difference between their flavor, taste, and tenderest steak cut.
Avoid cutting it opposite to the direction of the muscle fibre. It ruins the flavour of Denver steak recipes.
Cuts such as hanger steak out and skirt steak have longer prolonged muscle fibers ( Grains of meat) as they belong to that part of cattle from where the muscles work harder.
Naturally, they are a little tough to cut, and often people avoid using cutting it that way.
- While buying Denver steak make sure that the butcher has cut across the grain. What happens generally is that they cut it from the back to minimize the waste.
- Also, it allows them to work efficiently. But, this technique makes the beef chewy and it won’t taste that good when you prepare it.
- A general rule of thumb is after being cut it is roughly triangular. Now, this is a good indication that you or your butcher has used the right technique.
- Also, this indicates that it has cut across the grain to obtain individual steaks.
Denver steak is known by many names. It is also labeled with other terms and this can make it hard for people to identify it as such especially for people working in the beef industry.
Some most common names of Denver steak include Denver cut, The boneless chuck short rib, The Denver chuck steak, The under blade centre and The under blade steak.
To give a nod to its softness, Japanese people call it Zabuton which translates to Japanese Zen Meditation Cushion.
A chewy steak is one that is not tender but rather tough. If your steak comes from a muscular animal then it will be chewy. You can use a meat denver tenderizer like a marinade to assuage the chewiness of your steak.
Denver steaks how to cook in griller? To start with, ensure that your Denver steak has a thickness of not more than 1 inch. For the same reason, it is advised to use a flash grill and use super high temperature/heat for about 45 seconds on each side.
Also, avoid cooking such steaks fully must be avoided. Therefore, this method obviously is to achieve a medium cooked finish.
Denver steak is considered to be the same type as that of flat iron steak. Since both of them come from the muscular part of the beef, therefore, they are sliced across the grain.
To grill your steak, follow the procedure given below:
- Preheat your grill on high heat.
- Use a flash grill and grill them for no more than 45 seconds on each side. Your goal must be getting a medium grilled finish.
- You can use olive oil as it can help to prevent your steak from being overcooked. This will also create a crispy texture on the surface.
Sometimes the beef gets chewy since it comes from the muscular part of the animal. Therefore, tenderizing it beforehand can help you deal with this problem.
For tenderising, you will need the following things.
- Finely chopped 1 large garlic clove.
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- Light soy sauce 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or rapeseed
- Use a shallow dish to mix all the ingredients. Then, add the steaks and cover them properly with the mix on both sides.
- Cover the mix with a towel or napkin. After this, keep it in the refrigerator for 4 hours minimum and if possible then overnight.
- Take out the steak from the refrigerator and let it cool to room temperature.
- Now your steaks are ready to be cooked. Use high flame along with non-stick utensils to get the best texture and firmness.
The seven-bone steak is the name given to the cross-section bone that runs through the body of the animal. It is shaped like a “7” and this is the reason this cut is called seven steaks.
Since it comes from around the primal shoulder; It is generally very tough. Also, this is a rather cheaper cut as well which makes it a great choice if you are looking to save some money. When cooked properly, it tastes really amazing.
This cut is not necessarily the best choice for fast grilling as it is loaded with connective tissues and a bone. It is generally used for slow roasting in a liquid or for braising, this makes it quite tender. It can be prepared in the smoker as well.
- 2 pieces of Zabuton Denver steaks
- ½ piece of sliced onion
- 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon of horseradish
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1–2 Hoagie and Buttered rolls sliced
- 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- Over medium flame preheat the grill.
- Apply salt, oil, and black pepper to your Zabuton steaks.
- Pre-heat the skillet for 2 minutes before cooking. Then, add pepper, salt, a splash of oil, and onions and stir the ingredients properly.
- While these ingredients are cooking use the time to grill the steaks. They take around 3 minutes to get cooked properly. When steaks turn brown, take them out along with onion and leave them to get cool at room temperature.
- Now it’s the turn for the bread, add it to the grill and cook it for about 30 seconds. Once it is toasted thoroughly mix it with horseradish and sour cream and keep it aside.
- Stack the bread with horseradish sauce, steak, and onion. Put bread on top of the fillings and your dish is ready.
For more recipes check out the original post here